Join us for the Historic Valley Junction Arts Festival, Sunday, May 19, 2019 from 11 am – 4 pm! The Valley Junction Art Committee has redefined Art in Valley Junction. Our two annual art festivals have been combined and refocused into one Fine Art Show! Its primary focus is the juried exhibition of fine arts and crafts, giving the public the opportunity to meet, interact with and purchase original work by artists.
The Historic Valley Junction Spring Art Market was initiated in 1989 as a one-day, outdoor celebration of the arts. Its primary focus is the juried exhibition of fine arts and crafts, giving the public the opportunity to meet, interact with and purchase original work by artists. The Arts Festival also has performing artists and hands-on art activities for children. Food vendors are stationed throughout the three-block long event. Attendance for this event is estimated at between 3,000-5,000 people.
Historic Valley Junction is six square blocks of specialty stores, art galleries, antique shops, fashion boutiques, hair salons, service businesses, and restaurants. Many of these businesses will be open to the public during Art Festival.
How to Apply
Artists wishing to apply for the Arts Festival must submit the online application form along with four color images of their work, and the $20 jury fee. Images submitted must be representative of work to be exhibited and will serve as the only criterion used.
All work must be original and creative. Kits, commercial molds, factory or machine produced items will not be juried into the event.
Selection and Judging
A panel of nine jurors will review images. Your brief description on the application, mediums and dimensions will be available to jurors. All decisions of the jury panel are final.
Applying artists will be notified of jury selection, by email, approximately fourteen days after application deadline. Accepted artists’ images may be used for promotional purposes.
Merit Awards with prize money will be awarded. Prizes are as follows:
- Best in Show: $500 Prize
- Best Two Dimensional: $250 Prize
- Best Three Dimensional: $250 Prize
The Historic Valley Junction Art Festival starts at 11:00 am and runs until 4:00 pm on Sunday, May 19, 2019.
- All spaces are approximately 15’ wide by 20’ deep in an open outdoor area.
- Artists must furnish tables, chairs and any set-up items.
- All participating artists must have a white tent.
- All tents must be fire retardant.
- As the Arts Festival is an outdoor show, please be prepared in the event of inclement weather, including wind. There is no rain date scheduled. NO REFUNDS WILL BE MADE.
- Booth assignments will be made in advance.
- Check-in will begin at 7:30 a.m. and coffee and pastries will be available from 8:30-10:30 a.m. at 137 5th Street.
- One flip bin of commercially printed reproductions will be allowed. The bin must be labeled. No reproductions will be allowed to hang.
- One artist allowed per booth unless work is collaborative.
Jury Fee: $20.00
Standard Booth Fee (15’x20′): $125.00
Based on the feedback from artists, the Valley Junction Art Committee has decided to condense & refine this art show. Please note the many changes the Arts Festival has made to make this a Fine Arts Festival. With a limited of artists, we will be hosting the event in the 100 & 200 blocks of Valley Junction.
It is each vendor’s responsibility to know if they are required to collect and remit Iowa Sales Tax. HVJF does not accept responsibility for vendors who fail to meet this obligation. Vendors who are required to remit sales tax must have a permanent valid Sales Tax Permit. Temporary sales tax permits are no longer issued. Failure to respond and reply to sales tax inquires by the Internal Revenue Service will eliminate vendors from future participation in the Valley Junction Arts Festival, as well as other Valley Junction special events. For questions, please call the Iowa Department of Revenue and Finance at 515-281-3114.