Date of Posting: June 1, 2021
About the organization
The Historic Valley Junction Foundation, formed in 1987, is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization focused on the growth and betterment of the Historic Valley Junction business district – the original downtown of West Des Moines, Iowa.
The organization is managed by a volunteer Board of Directors consisting of HVJ area property owners, business owners, residents, district employees, community members and public agency representatives.
Historic Valley Junction is the gathering place that is the heart and soul of West Des Moines – a delightful mix of old and new, bridging generations with unique businesses, vibrant events and a walkable hometown feel.
To inspire and enhance the evolution of the original Historic Valley Junction district by preserving and sharing our history; attracting and supporting small businesses; and engaging and connecting the community.
Our Main Street Connection
Historic Valley Junction Foundation has been an accredited Main Street Iowa District under the Iowa Economic Development Authority, since our inception 34 years ago. As a leading Main Street Iowa district, recent accolades and awards include National Great American Main Street Award (GAMSA) winner in 2012, first National CoSign district in 2017 and National Register of Historic Places district since 2017.
The Historic Valley Junction Foundation (HVJF) is seeking an experienced leader to serve as Executive Director (ED) with responsibility for the development, execution and management of the programs, policies, and initiatives of the HVJF as directed by its Board of Directors in its mission to facilitate the vision, long-term development, and economic vitality of the district. The ED is responsible for the overall HVJF operations, administration, financial management and development efforts.
The Ideal Candidate
Qualifications, Education, and Experience
- Working knowledge and direct experience with event management, the Main Street movement, downtown/business district development, real estate development and historic preservation
- An undergraduate degree and a minimum of 5 years relevant and proven work experience. (Nonprofit management, small business, retailing, marketing, accounting, budgeting, and/or historic preservation preferred.)
- Strong knowledge and experience with City, County, State, and other public agencies • Strong knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office and QuickBooks software
- Website, WordPress, Social Media, Microsoft Teams, Manage My Market, and newsletter (Mail Chimp) experience but not required
- A current and valid driver’s license
Physical Requirements and Work Conditions
- Actively participate in all district wide events in all weather conditions
- Work/stand/walk outside for long periods of time as needed
- Regularly lift 50 pounds as part of typical job duties
- Reach down to foot level and up to overhead level as needed
- Travel as required for position training, workshops, and conferences
- Work some nights and weekends, with many non-traditional working hours and emergency on call responsibilities
- Represent HVJF at the following:
- City of West Des Moines and other relevant community meetings
- Main Street Iowa Orientation, Quarterly Training, and Annual Awards
- National Main Street Conference through mainstreet.org
- Iowa Downtown Conference
Duties, Responsibilities, Knowledge and Skills
- Develop and direct economic and revitalization strategies for HVJ district
- Demonstrate relationship building with district businesses and property owners to help achieve their goals.
- Develop and implement a schedule of events that drive traffic and interest in the neighborhood
- Serve as district spokesperson and advocate to media and community at the local and state level
- Hire, train, supervise and support all HVJF Staff and contracted employees
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers for HVJF programs and events
- Work closely with Board of Directors to understand and achieve HVJF goals
- Facilitate, direct, and actively participate in fundraising, grant writing, sponsorships, and economic development of the district.
- Meet or exceed Main Street Iowa and Main Street America accreditation standards
Compensation & Benefits
- The Executive Director position is an FLSA exempt, full-time, salaried position, and an at-will employee
- Salary ranges from $45,000 to $60,000 commensurate with experience
- Benefits include:
- 7 paid holidays per calendar year
- 10 paid vacation days accrued per calendar year o $250 per month insurance stipend
- $25 per month cell phone stipend
Please send your cover letter, resume, references, and salary expectations to email@example.com. Application window is June 1st to 15th, 2021.
Historic Valley Junction Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in recruitment, employment, compensation, termination, position upgrading, promotions and other conditions of employment against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.