Date of Posting: June 9, 2021
About the organization
The Historic Valley Junction Foundation, formed in 1987, is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization focused on the growth and betterment of the Historic Valley Junction business district – the original downtown of West Des Moines, Iowa.
The organization is managed by a volunteer Board of Directors consisting of HVJ area property owners, business owners, residents, district employees, community members and public agency representatives.
Historic Valley Junction is the gathering place that is the heart and soul of West Des Moines – a delightful mix of old and new, bridging generations with unique businesses, vibrant events and a walkable hometown feel.
To inspire and enhance the evolution of the original Historic Valley Junction district by preserving and sharing our history; attracting and supporting small businesses; and engaging and connecting the community.
Our Main Street Connection
Historic Valley Junction Foundation has been an accredited Main Street Iowa District under the Iowa Economic Development Authority, since our inception 34 years ago. As a leading Main Street Iowa district, recent accolades and awards include National Great American Main Street Award (GAMSA) winner in 2012, first National CoSign district in 2017 and National Register of Historic Places district since 2017.
The Historic Valley Junction Foundation (HVJF) is seeking an Events Coordinator (EC) who can provide strong event planning and organizational support to the HVJF Executive Director and the HVJF Foundation. This is a full-time, non-exempt position that will require working some evenings and weekends. Hours will be adjusted accordingly.
The Ideal Candidate
Qualifications, Education, and Experience
- An Associate degree or higher and a minimum of 2 years relevant and proven work experience
- Working knowledge and direct experience with event planning and on-site event management
- Strong knowledge and experience with recruiting sponsors and volunteers for events
- Strong knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office, Websites, WordPress, Social Media, Microsoft Teams, Manage My Market, and newsletter formats (Mail Chimp)
- A current and valid driver’s license
- Work closely with the HVJF Executive Director to develop and implement an annual schedule of events
- Plan, organize and manage all events and programs for HVJF
- Acquire an in-depth knowledge of the HVJF businesses and events to accurately provide information to business owners, property owners, residents and visitors
- Coordinate event committees and planning meetings for all HVJF events and programs
- Recruit and select appropriate and adequate number of event vendors
- Coordinate and actively participate in event set-up and tear-down
- Create sponsorship packages and secure event sponsors to ensure financial viability for all HVJF events and programs
- Recruit, schedule, coordinate, and support the volunteers needed to successfully run all HVJF events and programs
- Maintain and order all event related supplies and products (wristbands, zip strips, beverages, apparel)
- Arrange for marketing and publicity for all events including print, radio, television, on-line and social media
- Reserve all venues for events, programs, and committee meetings
- Secure all event related permits
- Answer all event related mail, messages and email
- Communicate with HVJ businesses regarding all events and programs
- Coordinate event-specific website management, calendar of events and media relations
- Answer the HVJF telephone as needed and welcome visitors to the HVJF office
- Work closely with Executive Director and Board of Directors to understand and achieve HVJF goals
- Other duties and special projects as assigned by the HVJF Executive Director
- EC must be highly efficient, well-organized and have a strong attention to detail
- EC must be friendly, welcoming and customer service-focused at all times
- EC must function efficiently, with minimal direct supervision, under pressure and deadlines
- EC should have strong verbal and written communication skills
- EC with Bilingual/Spanish speaking skills is a strong additional qualification
- EC must be capable of working with all ages, personalities and type of visitors
Physical Requirements and Work Conditions
- Actively participate in all district wide events in all weather conditions
- Work/stand/walk outside for long periods of time as needed
- Regularly lift 50 pounds as part of typical job duties
- Reach down to foot level and up to overhead level as needed
- Travel as required for position training, workshops, and conferences
- Work some nights and weekends, with many non-traditional working hours
Compensation and Benefits
- The Event Coordinator position is a non-exempt, full-time position, and an at-will employee
- Salary ranges from $32,000 to $42,000 commensurate with experience
- Benefits include:
- 7 paid holidays per calendar
- 10 paid vacation days accrued per calendar year
- $250 per month insurance stipend
- $25 per month cell phone stipend
Please send your cover letter, resume, reference, and salary expectations to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted through June 22 or until the position is filled.
Historic Valley Junction Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in recruitment, employment, compensation, termination, position upgrading, promotions and other conditions of employment against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.